Dixie-Narco Coke machine free soda vend

Vending machine relayMy friends received a free soda vending machine manufactured by Dixie-Narco for their workshop (if you’re picturing a soda machine right now, it’s probably manufactured by Dixie-Narco). They wanted it put into free mode so they didn’t have to constantly pump quarters into it. I searched the the internet and found many many people adding momentary push buttons to simulate a coin deposit. I also found $50 one-off relays and even people selling $30 jones plugs to do it. I then found one post describing the right way to do it (cache):

Instead of jumpering pins and adding a button to the jones plug you can just swap a couple wires in the clear-cased vending relay and be done. No additional parts needed and no need to push extra buttons to get your soda.

First, unplug your machine. Following the illustration in the post you use a paper clip to eject wire 71 from the socket and tape it so it doesn’t short. You then eject wire 10 and insert it into the slot that wire 71 was in. Plug the relay in and it will now immediately vend soda when you push your selection.

I’m reposting this in hopes that people will find it and start converting their machines the easy way. The original poster says this is the manufacturer recommended way for converting to free vend.

21 Responses to “Dixie-Narco Coke machine free soda vend”

1. SJW says:

Just tried this on my older pepsi machine, took only a few minute to do.
    works very well,

thanks

2. […] I hope someone finds this info useful; I’ve already gotten a thank you comment on my vending machine post. […]

3. […] so that you could use non-traditional input to make it serve beverages. I had some experience converting a machine to free mode during our Rainfall project so it didn’t seem too hard. Vending machines are readily […]

4. NAS says:

Took less then 5 minutes to do. Works like a charm!! This by FAR is the best fix for free vending!! Thank you very much for a KICK A$$ post!!!

5. Shawn says:

Just did this and it worked GREAT! But wondering if this will shorten the life of the vend relay??

6. eliot says:

Shawn, I woud only be concerned about it shortening the life if the coil was constantly energized but I don’t believe this wire swap does that.

7. Rich says:

Thanks for the free vend tip, worked great, no more keeping nickels in the coin return. this will make my wife happy, and a happy wife makes for a happy man.

8. Kris says:

Worked great. Thanks!

9. drew says:

i am having a issue getting this to work please contact me

10. Doug McGowan says:

Where is the clear plug located?

11. Vince says:

I tried to do this on my dixie narco 276 but I dont have any wires in the 71 or 10 position. Any ideas?

12. eliot says:

@Vince, You’ve taken a photo of the socket side of the plug but the illustration in the post is of the back side of the socket. It’s a mirror image. Looking at the screw tabs might make it clearer.

13. dan says:

I was sceptical at first but decided to give it a shot, since my coin op wasn’t reading The money I put in anyway, and to my surprise it works. The only hard part was figuring out how The connectors locked into place so I could unlock them. I was surprised that I only found videos on adding a switch. I found this thread by accident doing more research on my machine.

14. SCOTT says:

Just tried it on mine and the wire would not eject, the wire pulled apart. Now what do I do?

15. eliot says:

The individual connectors are .250 quick disconnects like this http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?keywords=A36375-ND

16. va23boam says:

Oh this is by far the best. Easiest and cheapest way. Thanks for the easy to follow and detailed post

17. Maestro says:

No wire in 10 and 71. Alternate plan? Thanks

18. eliot says:

@Maestro, I think you’re having the same problem as Vince above ^

19. Jake says:

Hi, I just did the swap all lights came on and it would vend for free. Worked like it should for about 5 drinks than just quit any help would be nice thanks again.

20. Jake says:

Hi I have been using this right a long and has worked fine crime July till now than just stopped lighting up and vending for free any help would be thankful I also fr places that clear relay and still nothing

21. Jason says:

Amazing !!! my machine stopped working with coins and I have spent the last 2 hours trying to figure it out .. Then I look online and everyone talks about shorting the Jones switch .. Then I just happen to open this page and BAM perfection!! It was so easy to do and it works perfectly THANK YOU !!!!!!!